Sunday, November 4, 2007

Homework #1

1. Today we discussed the Japanese concept of "wrapping". Do you agree with the web site's description?What do you do that can be called "wrapping"? Give examples and reasons for your actions.

I believe to a certain extent, the idea of 'wrapping' can be validated. But I also believe that perhaps the website took the idea and ran with it a little. I think the idea of wrapping in terms of building construction went a little far. In terms of what can be called 'wrapping', though, I think that a person's personality can be a sort of wrapping. I, for example, am very shy in public, but it isn't who I am exactly. Once I get to know someone and feel comfortable, my real personality shows.

2. Preparation for the next class "Death and Funerals"
a. Where do you go when you die?


I think you keep going, but where I don't know. I think I'll find out once I die. Hopefully it will be with my loved ones.

b. Explain why do Japanese have death memorial services 1 month, 1 year, 3 years, 7 years, etc. after a person's death?

I honestly don't know...

1 comment:

HJU Teacher said...

These concepts are importent in Japanese life. Maybe you should do some research on this topic. On line or ask your Japanese new friends. Good luck!