Sunday, January 6, 2008

Homework #10- Table Manners

Have you ever eaten in a foreign restaurant? Where? What did you eat? Did you make any mistakes? Please explain your experience. Did you learn anything?

When I was in high school, I went to a local Japanese restaraunt with a few of my friends (this was long before I studied any Japanese language or culture). So I ordered some food, I forget what, but rice came with my meal. When I was eating, I took a break from eating my rice to get a drink, but left my hashi in the rice... well, at that point, I didn't know yet that this is a really bad thing to do. So when I realized the restaraunt owner giving me strange looks, I was sort of confused. It wasn't until later that I realized what I did, and I was so embarrased and felt really stupid...

5 comments:

imyu said...

I think that Japanese food has more manner than foreigner one. So I also had a lot of mistake. I could understand your feeling. But we can learn from mistaking. Let's remember about it until we start to work.

ddcgc donardo said...

Even though I grew up in Japan, I sometimes make mistake when I have a meal. I think people come to know after they experience such mistake.

Carrie said...

But you didn't know that was taboo thing in Japan. So I think it was okay.

kotone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kotone said...

imyu also said Japanese food has more manner than foreigner one.
I think so too.
Sometimes I make mistake when I have a Japanese meal.
But Japanese food is good!!!!
I love Japanese food!!!